“Hard” water is water with a high mineral content. As water moves through rocks and substrates in the earth, it picks up minerals like calcium and magnesium. Left untreated, the residue from these minerals in the water can be seen or felt on skin, hair, clothing, dishes, pipes, appliances and fixtures in your home.
Some problems associated with hard water are:
- Soaps are not as effective when mixed with hard water and can prevent some cleansers and detergents from working correctly.
- Clothing may appear dingy and glassware may have spots or film.
- Hard water can also leave a film on fixtures, bathtubs, showers. This film can also dry skin and make every day a bad hair day!
- Appliances, like dishwashers, washing machines and water heaters can accumulate scale from hard water.
- Scale build-up in appliances reduces the efficiency of the appliances and may shorten their lifespan.
- In addition, scum and buildup from hard water can make cleaning chores challenging.
In contrast, soft water contains much less calcium and magnesium than hard water and does not leave an unpleasant build up. Some geographical areas do have naturally occurring soft water. But for most in Northern California, the effects of hard water are very apparent.
The good news is your water doesn’t need to wreak havoc on your skin, hair, plumbing or appliances! Installing a non-electric, Kinetico water treatment system can remove minerals from your water before entering your home saving you time and money. A simple water test can help determine the best system for your needs. Schedule an appointment today and let the experts at Fletcher’s Plumbing and Contracting, Inc. help you find the best soft water solution.