We’ve all had to deal with plumbing issues one time or another. When your sink is making strange noises, the first thing you may do is turn to a consumer drain cleaning solution. But what are the signs that you may need a professional to come out?
- When turned on, your faucets make a screeching sound. This could be a signal that their air “bleed-off” system is not working and air is getting into the pipes.
- You hear rattling noises from the pipes which indicates air has gotten into the pipes.
- Your water pressure is low. Many things can cause this including clogged pipes, a leak in the system or incorrectly sized water pipes.
- Enclosed spaces should be inspected for wet spots or mold. A small drip underneath your sink could cause a mold or rot problem over time.
- If you have not used your sink in a long time and the drain has a foul smell, the P-trap of the drain may have dried up and needs to be refilled with water. Run the sink for a minute and see if the smell subsides, but it may be the sign of a more serious problem.
- Brown or discolored water coming out of your faucets may be a sign you need to replace your water heater. The water heater should be regularly inspected for signs of any rust or corrosion on the tank or pipes.
- If you have a gas water heater, check the gas lines by coating with soapy water and watching for bubbles. If bubbles occur then call the gas company immediately to inspect the line.
- O-rings or washers need to replaced on the faucet should they continue to leak once turned off.
- Slow drainage on a sink is a general sign of a blockage inside the pipes. Using consumer drain cleaning solution may help but they contain harsh chemicals that, if splatter can actually cause harm. A plumber’s “snake” tool can break-up the blockage without adding harsh chemicals to your system.
- When going on vacation, locate the main water shut-off valve and turn off the water to your home. You can also do this to check and see if there is a possible leak. When you turn off the water main, check to see if the meter is still running. If so, it may indicate you have a leak in the system.
Fletcher’s Plumbing & Contracting, Inc. provides residential plumbing repair and maintenance throughout Northern California serving Yuba City, Marysville, Colusa, Gridley, Live Oak, Plumas Lakes, Chico, Oroville, Woodland, Lincoln, Grass Valley, Roseville and South Placer. We offer fast, same day service in your home, condo or mobile home. We also offer 24-hour emergency service. Our technicians have the experience to resolve most plumbing issues during the initial service call.
Let us know how we can help with your plumbing needs.